GRAY Media, LLC (GRAY) is seeking an experienced and talented Executive Editor with a proven track record to work out of our downtown Seattle headquarters.
GRAY is a privately-held media company based in Seattle, WA. The brand’s award-winning, multi-media coverage spans architecture, interiors, design, culture, and fashion. Founded in 2011 with a focus on the Pacific Northwest and now international in scope, GRAY is comprised of diverse platforms and properties, including a print and digital magazine, website, talks, competitions, and events that have a total brand reach of 25 million.
We are a small and nimble team that thinks big and acts big – with courage, conviction, and passion – to make a meaningful difference in the world of design. And we have big plans to develop dynamic new channels and experiential content as we continue to evolve and grow.
Working under the direction of the Vice President, Content + Creative (VPCC), the Executive Editor plays a key leadership role with responsibility for day-to-day management of the editorial team and the content it creates for GRAY’s bi-monthly print magazine, website, events programming, and more.
The ideal candidate is flexible, innovative, insightful, and energetic with an inherent commitment to the highest standards of excellence. Having played a pivotal role in building out new departments and media platforms, this natural collaborator brings a broad and deep skillset – and longstanding love of design – to the team that has been developed at a national, international, or leading regional publication.
This is a public-facing role representing GRAY that often includes public speaking. The Executive Editor meets with high-profile designers, artists, and business leaders; attends and leads industry events, and is a respected tastemaker and influencer who is thoroughly immersed in the design industry.
If you thrive on doing what others say can’t be done, are creative and entrepreneurial to your core, and not above the quiet, less glamorous tasks we share in order to make it all happen and continuously exceed our own expectations, you’ll feel right at home with GRAY.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with VPCC, Founder + CEO, and editorial team to execute – and seamlessly integrate – editorial vision across all platforms with an unwavering commitment to continuous refinement and improvement.
- On a day-to-day basis, thoughtfully manage editorial team and the content it creates for GRAY magazine, graymag.com, GRAY events programming, and more.
- Directly conceptualize, pitch, secure, write, and edit inspiring, best-in-class editorial, with a focus on compelling storytelling, innovative packaging, and consistency of voice.
- Develop editorial programming for live events, moderate panel discussions, deliver presentations, conduct speaking engagements, and serve as a senior brand representative to the design industry, media, advertisers, and business community – thoughtfully promoting and protecting the brand.
- Effectively manage budgets, resources, deadlines, administrative duties, and relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
What we’re looking for:
- At least five years experience in a mid/senior editorial role for a national, international, or leading regional publication with the demonstrated ability to thoughtfully lead, motivate, inspire – and work hand-in-hand with – a small team.
- A deep knowledge of, and passion for, culture and design.
- Extensive experience across print, digital, and live events.
- An instinctive drive to produce innovative, world-class editorial.
- Exceptional and diverse writing and editing skills – short-form, long-form, display copy, etc.
- Meticulous attention to detail, deadlines, time management, and organizational efficiency.
- Ability to work swiftly, accurately, and decisively under multiple deadlines.
- Confident, but genuinely diplomatic communication skills.
- Grace under pressure. Natural leader and mentor whose positive influence is unabiding, even on the most challenging days.
- An entrepreneurial spirit at the core – highly productive and sincerely collaborative.
- Full-time, permanent position reporting to VPCC with monthly healthcare and phone stipends.
- Periodic evening and weekend hours for deadlines, events, and occasional travel.
- Please note this is a job summary intended to communicate the overall scope of work, and as such, does not reflect every responsibility of the position.
- Must be based in Seattle.
- Send the following:
– Your resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org
– A link to (or pdf of) at least three published writing samples, and any other editorial stories or products of which you are most proud and have been primarily responsible for creating.
– A compelling note to Matthew Dakotah, VP, Content + Creative that demonstrates your exceptional writing skills, and expresses why you are interested in this position, and what makes you the best Executive Editor for GRAY.
– Your desired salary range.
– Please note: Candidates who do not provide all of the above will not be considered.