GRAY, an international media company focused on design and culture, is offering an educational opportunity through our internship program at our Seattle office. Editorial Interns at GRAY gain real-world experience and mentorship, learning what it takes to publish award-winning content for a multi-platform award-winning global brand.
Successful candidates are highly motivated, creative, organized, obsessed with crafting amazing stories, and who demonstrate a genuine curiosity and passion for design. This is an unpaid internship and requires a minimum commitment of 10-15 hours in-office per week for a duration of 3-6 months. Applicants must be able to receive school credit in order to apply.
- Excellent writing skills. You learn to write editorial pieces for both the magazine and website. With increased experience and demonstrated commitment, there is a possibility that your pieces will be published in print or digital with a shared byline.
- Ability to multi-task and focus on small tasks with many moving parts is very important. Attention to detail is key.
- Strong communication skills, and a courteous, professional demeanor. You may be asked to call a store, a designer, or a firm about product sourcing, pricing, or other details necessary for the reporting or fact-checking process as part of your learning experience. You will also have the opportunity to attend local design events, openings, and studio visits.
- You will need a computer with Microsoft Word, as well as access to a phone for check-ins with the editors, interviews, etc.
- Ability to receive school credit is required in order to be considered.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
An internship with GRAY will provide you with hands-on experience at an international brand. Working closely with GRAY editors, you’ll learn writing skills and best practices specific to magazine editorial, including how to adapt to a publication’s voice and tone, interview techniques, fact-checking, research, writing for print versus digital, and more.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, including your area of study and explanation of why you are interested in this internship, to firstname.lastname@example.org.